Sunday 10 May 2009

Systemic isolation?

The itinerary for my travel was not prepared without some hurdles. From this experience alone, I've learnt so much about how Europe is isolating their own people; ostensibly and only because they are Muslims. Despite Bosna being recognized as containing within herself world heritage as declared and 'protected' by UNESCO, there barely was any easy access into the country. The Balkans is famous for its natural beauty, but the Bosnian share seemed to be missing.

It is not my passion to blatantly accuse anyone of anything. However I at least have the right to voice out my concerns regarding what I see as inappropriate- of course my immature views can be accepted or refuted. As far as I can tell from my limited experience, there is no evidence of any active isolation of Bosna by the Europe. But I'm pretty sure that something is not right- I could almost smell it. If anyone browses through the web to look for inexpensive means to get to Bosna, he'll end up in disheartenment and despair. When there are so many flights that would land in Croatia, for some reasons Bosna was seemingly shunned. This is not the isolated case of England alone, but also for countries like Italy, Austria, Hungary and Croatia which are the closest neighbours of Bosna.

I admit that I can't complain much about it. After all, it is the nature of business. Services come after market appears. For all I know, maybe the tourism in Bosna is still in its infancy, maybe now slowly growing to meet the demands of posh tourists. This might also be related to my second complain, although I find it harder to comprehend and accept: not a single company, not even banks, is willing to prepare the Bosnian currency for exchange with pounds. Even if I were to tour the whole English island, there is little chance to obtain the unknown Konvertible Marka, currency of Bosna i Hercegovina. I resorted to buying some Euros and Croatian Kunas, the latter of which had to be ordered for procurement. I had to wait for 24 hours and that was fine to me. The issue is; it didn't seem fair, not to me at least. If Kuna can be ordered, why not Marka?

As if these were not enough, I was further hit by some unacceptably discriminative news. I phoned my mobile network provider to check, beforehand, for the availability of its services in Bosna. I was half-expecting it to be in negative, and I was half right. The operator spoke in a soft tone, telling me that my network is "unavailable in Bosna, unless I sign in to pay more. However it is perfectly okay to be used in Croatia". These words struck me hard. I thought to myself: so is it really unavailable, or is there something about Bosna?

How sad, there is a very strong stigma about being a Muslim. It is worse when you proclaim your country a Muslim country, and worst if the term Islamic is used. I remembered the words of al-Djazairi, who emphasised how Islamophobia today is not new for Muslims. It has happened to us since (and perhaps worst) in the era of the crusades, which started in 1095 when Pope Urban II in France preached hatred through all the lies he invented about us Muslims. In reality it echoes to this very day, when we can still hear the ugly slanders about us being barbaric, uncivilized, lustful, belligerent and aggressive, as oppressors, discriminators, preachers of hatred for other religions, and most infamously persecutors of women. These people, the slanderers, have blinded themselves to the truth, and sealed their hearts with hatred that it is impossible for any light to reach and illuminate the darkness they live in. True are the words of Allah,

"Allah hath set a seal on their hearts and on their hearing, and on their eyes is a veil; great is the penalty (they incur)" (al-Baqarah: 7)

2 comments:

  1. Salaam brother,

    You haven't written in many months. I hope you are doing well.

    When I travelled to Bosna in June 2009, alhamdulillah the Malaysian telco service provider indeed has roaming access there. My family and I were very fortunate. I just stumbled upon your blog, and reading it with much enthusiasm.

    We visited families in Gracanica, Travnik, and Sarajevo. Of course, we also visited Mostar.

    I also held many observations of this travel, which are largely similar to yours. I will continue reading your blog, because it feels good to know another person, a Muslim, coincidentally Malaysian, also share the same hopes for Bosnia as the rest of us.

    May Allah continue to bless you,
    Asma Wan
    Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wassalam Asma, thanks for leaving a note :)
    MashaAllah I didn't realise some people like this blog more than I do myself.. Yes, I've not written for some time, and I honestly regret that.. MashaAllah I'll try to write again, thanks for your support :)

    do you have facebook? if you like, we can talk more about Bosna. add me at this email ahmadsafwan@ymail.com
    I'd also like to know about your experience, which I'm sure is nothing less than mine, if not more valuable :)

    ReplyDelete